Former VP Joe Biden, left, landed in the role of punching bag last night. The most searing moment came when Sen. Kamala Harris, right, hammered her longtime friend with a personal story that suggested Biden had betrayed the spirit of the civil-rights movement. Biden’s rivals urged him to pass the torch to a new generation; our by-the-numbers look helps tell the story of that divide. (Sen. Bernie Sanders is caught in the middle in this New York Times photo.) More catching up:
- The fast version: Here are the key takeaways and an analysis of the winners and losers.
- Truth squad: The candidates lost some facts amid all their excitement.
- Who’s Marianne Williamson? She left debate-watchers transfixed and confused.
- Hey, I was talking! On full display during the first debate: the gender dynamics of interruption.
- And I want to talk some more: The U.S. needs a debate on climate change, Gov. Jay Inslee says.
- You hush now: “Don’t meddle with the election,” President Donald Trump told Russia’s Vladimir Putin with a smirk and a finger point.