Tory leadership candidate Jeremy Hunt has warned that his party will be committing “political suicide” if it tries to push through a no-deal Brexit.
UK foreign secretary is one of the 10 candidates seeking to replace Theresa May as Prime Minister.
Michael Gove has begun his pitch by pledging to allow EU nationals in the UK at the time of the referendum to apply for citizenship free of charge.
The Brexit-supporting environment secretary will make an “open and generous” offer, sources said.
A Tory rival, International Development Secretary Rory Stewart, is promising a “listening exercise” on Brexit.
Writing in the Telegraph, Jeremy Hunt expressed his opinions on Brexit, stating that he has always believed that no-deal is better than no Brexit.
He also warned that a prime minister advocating no-deal would risk losing a confidence vote in Parliament – so committing to a general election.
“Trying to deliver no deal through a general election is not a solution; it is political suicide,” he writes.
It would “probably put Jeremy Corbyn in No 10 by Christmas.”
He pledged to negotiate a new agreement with the EU if he wins the leadership contest.
These are the 10 Candidates, one of whom will replace Theresa May:
- Home Secretary Sajid Javid
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock
- Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt
- Former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson
- Former Leader of the House Andrea Leadsom
- Former Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey
- Former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab
- International Development Secretary Rory Stewart
- Environment Secretary Michael Gove
- Housing minister Kit Malthouse