If you’re an international student dreaming of studying in the UK, then you must have a student visa. However, this visa is only for those who have enrolled for a full-time degree in the UK, and not for those taking up short-term or language courses. Also, if you are from Switzerland or EU/EEA states, then you don’t need any visa to study in the UK.
However, if you’re from any other country, you’d need one without any doubt. So, if you’re planning to pursue higher education in the United Kingdom, you need to have a visa to stay for an additional period
The visa requirements and all things concerning immigration in the UK depend on your country of origin. The UK Visas and Immigration take care of all the essential criteria that you must meet to get your UK student visa.
Read on to know more about getting student Visas to study in the United Kingdom.
UK Student Visa Fees
The amount of money you’ll spend for your student visa in the UK is currently £363 if you apply while living outside the United Kingdom. You’ll also spend £490 if you’re already living there. Additionally, while you’re in the UK, you’ll have to spend more money on healthcare services, operated mainly by the National Health Service (NHS). That’ll set you back an extra £470.
The Documents You need to Apply for a Student Visa in the UK
The rules for getting a student visa in the UK are always changing. This means that you’ll have to check the visa policy criteria before you start preparing your documents.
Here are the usual documents you need to get that UK student visa:
- You need to get an application form.
- You’ll need to have a valid passport and two pictures of yourself.
- You’ll need to get the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which the school will give you online. Don’t know how to get one? Just enter the reference number from the CAS in your visa application.
- Evidence that you have enough funds to take care of yourself during your stay. If you’re getting help from your family in the UK, they will have to show proof of their relationship to you with things like birth certificates or adoption certificates.
- If English isn’t listed as one of your qualifications in the CAS, then you show proof that you’re proficient in the English Language.
- If you’re doing research for your undergraduate or graduate studies, you probably need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.
- If required, you’ll need to get a tuberculosis test that must be negative as per the results.
- Finally, if you’re under 18, you need to show proof that your parents gave their consent to you studying abroad.
How to Apply for a UK Student Visa
The application process for a UK student visa involves several steps. Note Applications for UK study visas are assessed three weeks after the completed application is submitted.
Step 1 : Check if you are eligible for a student visa. You must provide proof that you got enrolled in a university or institution. Thus, what you’ll be getting is “confirmation of Acceptance for Studies” (CAS).
Step 2 : Prepare your documents
Step 3 : Submit an online application.
To do this, you must first register and set up an online profile on the approved UK Visa website. Next, you must print out and sign your completed application. If you want to make a reservation at the visa application center, then you can use the online appointment calendar.
Once you have finished with your online application, you will get an email with your application number.
Step 4 : Pay the application cost. There are three different ways to pay your online visa application fee.
- A) Standard Chartered Bank. You can make your payment at some Standard Chartered Bank sites. The bank will issue you a demand draft in the name of the “British High Commission”.
- B) Demand draft from a nationalized or international bank: To pay your fee, you can obtain a payment request from a nationalized or international bank. The bank could charge you some fees for this service. Note that the “British High Commission” must be identified as the recipient of the demand draft.
- C) Paying at the visa application center: while submitting your visa application, you can make payments to your visa application fee at the visa application center.
Step 5 : Visit the visa application center on the agreed date.
And here it is. Studying in the UK is a dream come true. This is an aspiration that many international students dream of. However, because of a lack of funds, they were unable to study abroad. But here’s your chance to study abroad. Now you know how to study abroad, pack your bags and let’s go.